Tuesday 25 November 2014

Claires birthday


Claire's partner Graeme gave me just a few days notice when he asked me to make her a birthday cake so a simple floral cake had to be the way to go.
I've got the hang of making roses now so one full bloom on the top and three buds around the edge were straightforward. Rather than just putting the buds just on the top of the paste I made indentations around the edges and recessed them a little, a touch that looked quite effective I think. I don't think there should be anything on a cake that you can't eat and I don't use wires on my flowers, so I make the stems from angelica, which ran down the sides to a couple of leaves. The other flowers around the edges are my version of gerberas, though I don't think you'll see one quite like this in the garden. The little fleur-de-lis around the bottom were just an experiment to see what I could do with royal icing.

Claire's floral cake

No comments:

Post a Comment